Web Site Hit Counter

Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Murders of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom, Knoxville, Tennessee

.
I've become totally immersed in the case of the rape, torture and murder of two young college students, Channon Christian and Chris Newsom on January 6/7, 2007. This is probably the most heinous, hate-filled, deviant crime I have ever heard of. My heart goes out to the families of Chris and Channon.
.
Unbelievably, I don't recall ever hearing about the crimes at the time, even though it sparked racial tensions in Knoxville, Tennessee because the victims where white, middle-class students and the alleged perpetrators are black. Certain groups in that vicinity challenged the idea of Channon and Chris as victims, claiming it was a just crime, part of reparations of past slavery, yadda yadda, racist garbage.
.
There seems to have been a lot of pressure to keep the extent of the crime out of the scope of the national media, from both law enforcement and the victims' families, who were trying to keep media coverage at a minimum to salvage what dignity they could for their children in death. The attacks against Channon and Chris were savage, despicable and worse than cruel.
.
Captured within a few days, all of the suspects turned on each other pointing fingers. The group seemed to take sides: Davidson and Boyd backing each other accusing Cobbins, Thomas, and Coleman and vice versa--Cobbins, Thomas and Coleman left for Kentucky and claimed to have been victims themselves--held there against their will. While Davidson and Cobbins are half-brothers, in this case blood is apparently not thicker than water.
.
In 2008, Eric "E" Dewayne Boyd, asked for a speedy trial, was charged and convicted of 'accessory to carjacking' and 'aiding and abetting' in federal court and sentenced to 18 years in federal prison. It is mind boggling that he was not charged with AT LEAST accessory to rape, kidnap and murder as well. His DNA was not found on either bodies. When stopped on the streets he led the police right to Davidson. Although he looks quite stupid, he was smart enough to know that first to talk gets the best deal--guess it's true. I think his involvement is MUCH more than his charges. There is no statute of limitations on murder, I don't know what they are on the other charges. They know where he is for at least the next 17 years.
.
The four people charged with the murders are now being tried by the state of Tennessee. They are as follows:
.
Latalvis Cobbins: sentenced on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 to life in prison with out parole, being found guilty of 30 some counts. Boyfriend of Vanessa Coleman, buddy to Geo Thomas. Half brother of Lemaricus Davidson.
.
Lemaricus Davidson: tomorrow, August 31, court will continue trying to seat a jury. Charged with 40 some counts (numbers may be off, but I'm tired, sorry), car-jacking, kidnapping, rape, murder, numerous counts of each. Buddy to Eric Boyd. Half-brother to Cobbins.
.
next up: George Thomas due for trial in October,
.
Vanessa Coleman trial set for November.
.
Here are a bunch of links. I hope you will read the story and join me to pray for the victims families. Once the trial in underway this week I'm hoping to cover Davidson's trial closely now that I know what happened.
.

4 comments:

Ray said...

I believe that justice was not served. These people were totured and then murdered. I just hope the next trial bring differenet results.

Anonymous said...

Your first sentence also describes me. I have been unable to get this off of my mind even though it was 2 years ago. I certainly pray for the families. I also pray that the animals that did this get taken care of in prison. I do believe even most prisoners would despise them.

Anonymous said...

I CAN NOT EVEN BARE TO IMAGINE THE SUFFERING AND PAIN THESE TWO YOUNG VICTIMS WENT THROUGH, ESPECIALLY THE GIRL.

THERE IS A SPECIAL PLACE IN HELL FOR THE SO CALLED ANIMALS THAT DID THIS HORRIBLE CRIME. ANIMAL IS TO GOOD OF A WORD TO DESCRIBE THEM. THE JAIL HOUSE IS TO GOOD FOR THEM...THEY SHOULD SUFFER BY BEING SUBDUED TO THE SAME TREATMENT. AN EYE FOR AN EYE. AT LEAST THEY ARE OFF THE STREETS FOR A WHILE. THEY ARE CONSIDERED A MENANCE TO SOCIETY AND SHOULD BE WIPED CLEAN FROM THIS EARTH IN A SUFFERING STAGE.

Echo said...

I am just reading this as I just found out about this last month during the all the trevon media. Both cases ( or all three murders) btw are atrocious!!!! However, I too have not been able to get these two (Channon and Chris) out of my head since I learned of their murder! I literally cried when I read what happened to both of them! And I CAN NOT imagine how the mother and father, siblings any family members of these two, must feel when they think of what happened to their precious babies!! I Sware I'd want to be the one to lethally inject!! This is soooo damn wrong. I can't even believe another human being could do such things to another I don't care what f'n color you are!!! Why is what I ask over and over, just why?